Time: durations, 24hour clock, timetables is commonly tested in 11+ and Selective School exams in the UK.
Example Question 1:
1) What are these times in 24-hour time?
(a) 6:15pm, (b) 5:00pm (c) 10:55pm, (d) 7:30am, (e) 12:05am
2) What are these times in 12-hour time, using am and pm?
(a) 16:12, (b) 23:55, (c) 01:25, (d) 20:03, (e) 10:20
1) (a) 18:15, (b) 17:00, (c) 22:55, (d) 07:30, (e) 12:05
2) (a) 4:12pm, (b) 11:55pm, (c) 1:25am, (d) 8:03pm, (e) 10:20am
1) For pm times add 12 hours to change times into the 24-hour clock.
(2) For times greater that 13:00 subtract 12 hours to change times into the 12-hour clock
Example Question 2:
Answer the following questions about Isabelle’s school week.
a) On Monday she arrives at 09:04. What time does school start if she is 24 minutes late?
b) On Wednesday she stays for netball practice starting at 15:45, which is one hour and 20 minutes long. If it takes her 22 minutes to walk home afterwards what time will she arrive?
a) 09:04 subtract 24 minutes = 08:45
b) Netball practice will finish at 17:05 (15:45 + one hour and 20 minutes). Add the time to walk home to this total 17:05 + 22 minutes = 17:27
24 Hour Clock
Adding and subtracting time