- December 12, 2017 at 11:37 #74464
can anyone give a list of books / resources to buy to 11+ wirral CEM . I have been doing my research and by now my head is in a twirl with so many books and series of books to buy .I am getting bogged down.
Not sure to stick to the same series Bond who seem to produce loads or a variety using Schofield, Letts, IPS, GL, CGP . All really well know good publishers – but where do I start ? They all cover the relevant test areas but which is right for my DS
Money is not endless – and I don’t want to put my child through practising and tests that are wrong ( Especially over Xmas ! ) or wasting my money.
Test are divided into
Non – verbal reasoning.
Many thanks for any helpDecember 12, 2017 at 22:22 #74469
I am in Trafford (Manchester) and find the following workbooks very useful alongside using the relevant exercises in COAsT:
1. 3 x CGP workbooks: Non-verbal Reasoning, verbal-reasoning and maths ‘The 11+ Practice Book with Assessment Tests’ for the CEM Test
2. 3 x Letts 11+ Success for CEM workbooks ,Quick Practice Tests for 10 -11 years: Numeracy, non-verbal reasoning and English & verbal-reasoning.
3. CGP 10 minute tests: Comprehension, numeracy, non-verbal reasoning, verbal-reasoning (other subjects are also available)
4. A vocabulary workbook to extend vocabulary and practise synonyms & antonyms e.g. Synonyms and Antonyms by Christine Draper.
I have tried other publishers who have produced CEM practice workbooks and not found them as useful/exam-like as the above.
I would suggest that you start with the CGP workbooks (1) and then move on to the timed Letts workbooks (2) or timed CGP 10 minutes tests (3) in each subject… you probably won’t need both.
It would also be helpful for your son to have a go at a mock exam(s) (Trafford will be your nearest centre) – these will be advertised approx. February 2018.
Hope that helps.December 13, 2017 at 12:47 #74474
thank you very much -i really appreciate your help .
Will be ordering these today.
Do you think this is enough – when I did the old style a few years ago with my daughter we did loads of the same ‘question types’, and Bond tests each week.
I know its changed but practice got her though.
Any other suggestions greatly received . ( I know I am really pushing my son but want him to get through and it seems harder now )
Thank youDecember 14, 2017 at 14:38 #74483
Also try using:
1. Letts ‘Results Boosters’ for the CEM Test: Workbooks for CLOZE, vocabulary, comprehension and mixed subjects.
2. The other CEM CGP 10 minute test books that I did not mention above: Word Problems, Maths Quick Questions, NVR 3D & Spatial & CLOZE
3. Other NVR practice workbooks that are suitable for the GL Test provide reasonable CEM NVR practice too.(e.g. Bond, Letts Success Assessment Papers).
4. Other maths practice workbooks you may already have – to practise skills.
The nature of the CEM Test is that it is not possible to prep in the same way as the old GL Test by repeatedly going over the same question types.There are not really defined question types (apart from perhaps the inclusion of a comprehension) and rather it is a test of many skills/ability/confidence – this is why there is still a fairly limited number of possible practice materials.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.